|Find more projects in Iceland |
|Parent name:||Myvatn Landscapes Project|
|Abstract:||The aims of the preliminary investigations at Höfðagerði were to shed light on the dating and nature of the settlement by trenching and intensive survey.|
|Project Start Year:||2002|
|Projected End Year:||2003|
|Postal Address:||Bárugata 3, 101 Reykjavík, ICELAND|
Archaeological Assessment, Höfðagerði, Núpar 2002: Interim Report [0.80 MB]
In 2002 topographic survey and preliminary excavation took place in Höfðagerði, S-Þingeyjarsýsla, as a part of the Landscape of settlements project. The site is a complex of ruins and earthworks by the river Laxá. The aim was to establish a date and function for some of the structures. Test trenches were excavated in three locations (B,C and V). The excavation revealed well preserved turf structures and well detectable tephra layers. The preliminary results indicate that the Höfðagerði site probably dates back to the 12th century the latest, and that it was still occupied in the 14th or 15th century. While V was obviously an enclosure wall, further research is needed to determine the function of the two subrectangular structures. It is however reasonable to suggest that B was a byre and C probably a dwelling.
Archaeological Assessment, Höfðagerði, Núpar 2003: Interim Report [1.43 MB]
Following assessment in 2002, a more comprehensive programme of archaeological investigations in Höfðagerði took place in 2003.There were several focus areas within the site: single, ancient looking ruins and an alleged farm mound. Additionally, investigations took place across the homefield boundary, as well as test pitting within the environs of the site to determine the survival of tephra and assess the degradation of the natural environment. The excavations indicate Höfðagerði has a pre-1104 origins, although on site activity shifted between areas within the homefield area, possibly sometime after 1300. Activity on the site, indicated by the excavations, suggests the occupation of the site ceased before 1477, and thereon only two recent additions to the site, a telephone junction and a small summer house complex were added in the twentieth century.